Thursday 11 September 2014

Seventy

So much has happened. I'm overwhelmed by my own news! What a wonderful position to be in. I often wonder if I'm bored, or if I lead a boring life but faced with the job of writing down all that's been going on in the last couple of months I realise I'm actually quite active!

Glastonbury was a blast. The kids were suitably surprised and excited. My sister and her family went and we all camped in the crew camping area with our Glastonbury family. A circle of eight caravans around lush green grass with tables and chairs and toys for all the kids. A lovely camping holiday in the middle of the biggest festival in the world!

The girls spent 5 days in utter wonderment. They quickly adapted their outfits to suit the festival style and requested ever more elaborate glitterwork and dresses under waterproofs. We caught some of their idols, Lana Del Rey, Lily Allen and Ellie Goulding and also managed to drag them to see bands we were more interested in too.

We all talked about Dad a lot, last year's Glastonbury with him being so fresh in our minds, reminders of him were everywhere.

I worked very hard not to become exhausted. At times annoyed by my own limitations but in some ways finding it easier having the girls there to match myself to. Having said that, the security of such a tight family camp gave us the opportunity to put the girls to bed and venture out again into the night.

We arrived home on the Monday night, had a good sleep and went straight into hospital on Tuesday morning.

My mastectomy and reconstruction went well. I had both breasts rebuilt using implants and internal scar tissue under my left arm reduced. I had a steady stream of visitors and was back out in record time (2 or 3 days I think). Unfortunately due to the complexity of the operation I had to carry around not one but three drains (blood bottles!) for the next couple of weeks.

I spent about two weeks in the house recovering but felt better so much more quickly than I had after my first mastectomy. I can only assume this is because I am not ill this time. I had to visit the hospital almost daily so they could keep an eye on the drains and the healing process. Doing this from home was so much easier than from Kent.

On the 18th July we went to Hythe to spend a couple of days beside the sea, a generous gift from My Husband's aunt. We visited family and friends whilst there and I watched in envy as my family swam in the sea.

The week of the 21st July I was feeling much better. Still not allowed to drive/swim/exercise but getting around well and in much less pain. at the end of the week we were offered last minute tickets to The Secret Garden Party. A smaller music festival in Cambridgeshire. My Sister's fella was playing there with his band and had some un-allocated artists passes.

I went to hospital on Friday morning for a check up and asked my surgeon what he thought about me gallivanting off to a festival for the weekend during my recovery period. He said that my recent surgery was supposed to be enriching my life, not holding me back and that I should go for it but be sensible.

We threw the kids and the tent in the car and off we went!

August came quickly and the children were off school I was surprised to be well enough to do most things with them. I hadn't booked anything in for the first few weeks, Imagining that I would be stuck at home recovering. I amazed myself and was able to keep up with the girls.

Having them at home with me gave me the distraction I needed to help me lift myself from the depression that had begun to set in. I don't really feel able to write about it but had been very low. I am still struggling with this but I am very much better than I had been for a few months.

We decided on a whim to get the train to Exmouth to stay with my Granny. A plan that backfired when Daughter number one developed pnuemonia, finally ending up in Hospital on IV antibiotics. Ironically we had returned from Devon to My Mother-in-law's in Kent when she was finally diagnosed (after multiple trips to the doctors). I spent another night in my (not) favourite hospital where I have spent so much time over the past couple of years first myself and then with Dad. This time they did a good job and after 24 hours she was allowed home, well on the road to recovery.


Glastonbury

Secret Garden Party

1 comment:

  1. So happy to read your words. It makes me feel that you're in the next room, talking...

    ReplyDelete