Wednesday 13 November 2013

Fifty Six

Friday, 26 April 2013

My Husband has worked all week. I think this is the first week since my diagnosis that he has been able to work every day. It's been a bit of a pain that I can't drive and won't be able to for at least another couple of weeks. Living in the countryside becomes extremely problematic without the use of a car. Every school run has to be arranged plus all the after school clubs and dance, piano, brownies...
The parents have been wonderful but I can't help missing the ease of London.

In order to calm the cabin fever I have been walking. The sun has helped and I've been offsetting the longing to just jump on the overground/tube/bus by keeping a very close eye on the development of the bluebells in the wood and the wood anemones in the hedgerows beside the lane. This week has been a dramatic presentation of the pros and cons of city vs country life. I still can't decide which I prefer!

On Tuesday Daughter number one had her swearing in at brownies. She had to remember her 'promise' and recite it to the rest of the pack. It brought back memories of my own (very short) stint as a brownie all those years ago. I'm sure I had to dance around a silver tray lined with wild flowers...either the ceremony has become much more simple or my memory has been flavoured by imagination.

On Wednesday I went back to hospital. The seroma under my arm had swollen again. This time to the size of a half a grapefruit. Putting my arm down to my side was uncomfortable but holding it up was impossible. I have 'cording' in my armpit which is when the veins stiffen and movement becomes restricted.

I arrived at the hospital just before 11am. I saw two different breast care nurses and then finally at about 1.30pm I had an ultrasound scan on the swelling. The Doctor said she was going to give me some local anaesthetic before using a large needle to drain the seroma. I asked her to try without it and explained the numbness. We agreed that if the procedure became uncomfortable she would stop and administer the anaesthetic.

She then used the scanner to guide the needle into the centre of the lump and drained off 450ml of fluid! Finally I looked and felt normal (in a bald, scarred patchwork quilty kind of a way!). There was never a need for the anaesthetic as, again, I didn't feel a thing. I met Husband on the way home and we bumped into the family who have recently lost their Dad. They were choosing flowers for the funeral and all in wonderfully positive and loving spirits.

Yesterday as I was getting dressed I had a minor breakthrough with the arm grating. If I wear something that fits the arm, not loose and baggy, it feels better. I put on a long sleeved Tshirt that is soft and tight. Not TIGHT but not loose. Because it is constantly touching the area and not gently brushing against it it doesn't seem to hurt as much.

I set off for St Thomas's Hospital for my Radiotherapy planning session. This is only the second time I've had to go there. A change is as good as a rest and it is definitely more interesting to go somewhere new for a change. The Cancer unit is in the basement and thy have a huge radiotherapy department down there. Guys are planning an even bigger one which will be in a brand new building and it looks awesome on the pans. I hope I never have to go there.

I had a meeting with the Doctor and we worked though all the paperwork. On examination they have decided to reshedule the physical planning till next Thursday. thats when they'll do the CT scan, measure me on the machine and give me the tattoos. They feel that the swelling and seroma under my arm is still too unpredictable.

I got home just in time to meet the children as my Father dropped them home. He rushed back off to work and they ran upstairs to put on swimming costumes. They played in the garden with a pile of polly pockets in the sun happily until I called them in for supper at six. By the time I had them in bed and My Husband got home from work I was exhausted. I crawled up to bed and slept like a baby.

This morning my armpit has stared swelling up again...and so it goes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment