Tuesday 5 November 2013

Four

Wednesday, 12 September 2012
Four (recovered by leftbrain.it)

25th August, Daughter 1's 8th Birthday. We went to Kent to spend the weekend with my Mother-in-Law. A weekend away from it all. A well deserved break from the madness of packing up our family home. On the Saturday we went to the wedding of an old school friend. It was lovely to get dressed up. I wore a dress from 3 years ago that I never thought I'd fit into again.  I stuck to my resolve of not drinking but found it difficult. I cuddled babies and avoided talking to anyone for long. I couldn't work out who knew I had cancer but also found it impossible to tell anyone. I just want everyone to know and be OK with it.

The week after was a blur. Husband came and went. Did his last days at work and then painted the bedrooms in Kent. I took the girls to the Paralympics and had a brilliant day with them. We had booked tickets for the whole family to see the athletics at the Olympic park on the 5th September but the 5th was now going to be my Mastectomy surgery date.

On Thursday 30th Husband's brother arrived in the evening with a small bag of clothes. He made a bed on the floor and started packing. He worked constantly for 24 hours and put everything we owned into boxes. He was bright and cheerful and I feel I got to know him better in those few days than I had managed to in the 12 years I have been his sister-in-law. By Friday evening we were ready. We celebrated with dinner at our local Sardinnian restaurant accompanied by two of my gorgeous local friends.

The move went very smoothly thanks to the army of best friends that turned up to lift and shift. Two lorries and we were in. The house in Kent was ready and welcoming. We unpacked immediately and in two days the last box had been opened. Our parents helped us arrange the house, look after the girls, feed our other helpers and prepare for the week ahead.

A lovely friend from Tunbridge wells cooked and cleaned for three days. Putting home-made pasta sauces in the freezer and giving me advice on local shopping. Others would pop by, empty a box, dress a room, offer help, love and support.


No comments:

Post a Comment