Thursday 7 November 2013

Twenty Four

Monday, 22 October 2012

Twenty Four

On Friday I took the train up to Crofton Park. Lovely Friend was coming to collect me from the station. She was a little bit late, allowing me to pick up some chocolates and bubbles for my lunch hostess. While I was standing outside the station, having shopped, a man came up to me and said "Excuse me, Carlie?" It was the grown up version of a boy I haven't seen for about 22 years. As very small children we were inseparable but for one reason and another the last time I saw him was when I was 14. I asked him what he was doing there and he replied that he'd been to the dentist. my lift arrived, we hugged and said goodbye. I had been trying to collect my thoughts and prepare myself for the exiting but slightly daunting prospect of seeing all my local Mummy friends for lunch. Most of whom I haven't seen since I was diagnosed and upped sticks to Kent in a hurry. The surprise meeting did nothing to calm my nerves so I had a quick cup of tea with Lovely Friend and re-gathered my thoughts.

I needn't have worried. As soon as I walked in my Hostess's door I felt at home and comfortable. The 14 beautiful Ladies-who-lunch had prepared a feast, everyone had brought something and the bubbles were flowing. It was so special to catch up and hear all the latest gossip. They told me they are planning to do a sponsored run (or in some cases skate) to raise money for my new eyebrows! Some of them had even brought little gifts for me to take home for my girls. I was very happy on my train ride home. I felt more anchored and less like I was in a bad dream. Going back had reaffirmed the connection in my head and made the distance seem so much smaller.

On Saturday we were supposed to be going to our niece's Birthday party but couldn't risk the lingering bugs of some of the rest of our family. Normally this would have been no issue whatsoever but we are learning to avoid germs wherever possible. Unfortunately this probably won't be that last time we have to cancel something fun.

Saturday night we had a lovely supper with friends and Sunday we met a sweet family from London for a Kentish pub roast. They were kind enough bring me a baby to cuddle.

This morning I have been preparing myself as much as possible for the Chemotherapy. I have ordered replacement parts for my juicer, added to my weekly veg delivery, bought a small purple bucket in case I'm sick, bought a fab sheepskin jacket from the charity shop to keep me warm and tried to visualise the experience in a positive light. Tomorrow I have my 'pre chemo chat' it sounds very innocent but I know it will include blood tests and probably the insertion of my hickman line so I'm trying to visualise that in a positive way too. Then on Wednesday I have my first dose. You'll know by now that I don't like waiting for things very much. This is no exception. 


No comments:

Post a Comment