Wednesday 6 November 2013

Sixteen

Tuesday, 2 October 2012

It's going to be difficult to put into words the amazingness of the wedding. The Rock and Roll Princess was stunning, she looked like a real princess. The Rubber Faced Dinosaur was beautiful and happier than I have seen him ever in the 25 years that I have known him - and he's a happy chap anyway! The church was large and packed, I had a wonderful view from the very back where Husband and I snuck in at the last minute. We had legged it through the graveyard and arrived just in time to hear the vows. I had to pick grave-mud off the six inch heels of my latest present from Shoe Friend. It is a wonderful thing when you go to the wedding of a very close and old friend as it feels a bit like your own party. Looking around the church I realised that I knew almost everyone there and well enough to be able to recognise the backs of their heads.

The bridesmaids wore yellow - a colour I have been terrified of since I was very small. I would have freaked if someone had asked me to wear yellow. I have to tell you that these were the most beautiful selection of bridesmaids I've seen (apart from my own obvs!). Each had taken the scary dress code and made it her own, they had various different shades of yellow and different styles of dresses to suit them perfectly. The flower girls were gorgeous (especially the smallest one, the God-daughter i share with the groom) and the rest of the guests were resplendent in a huge array of colourful garb.

The RnRP and RFD left the church in a vintage VW campervan and we followed them to the sea where they had a mini festival of bespoke bohemian canvas erected around an old Mill House. The sun was shining for the first time in weeks and the prosecco was flowing. The wedding marquee was round and decorated inside with hundreds of handmade multicoloured bunting flags. Each flag had a silk flower attached. Interspersed with the bunting were huge bi-coloured tissue paper pom poms. The dance floor was lined by two washing lines, upon which hung hundreds of specially designed scarfs for the guests with the name and date of the wedding. All around the tent were lavender plants .

The speeches were heartfelt and funny and wonderful. I of course, considering my new celebrity status, got a mention although Husband and I nearly missed it as we were arguing about whether or not I should put my tights on yet. Dinner was fish and chips from a van outside or a pulled pork bun from the hog roast. Pudding was the beautiful wedding cake bought for the bride by her adoring hens. No-one stayed seated and laps were sat on, seats were shared as everyone caught up and gossiped. After supper the Best Man's speech erupted into a one-man cabaret act as he burst into song and started removing his clothes. The guests hardly managed to contain themselves from the dance floor long enough for the Husband and Wife to enjoy the first dance alone and as soon as Aretha stopped saying a little prayer they were joined by hundreds of dancers who stayed there till gone 2am.

That was my favourite bit. I stared off nervous and worried I might hurt myself or over stretch my left arm but I soon warmed up and was still there hours later doing air guitar and head banging to Led Zep. The music was faultless, going from a fab band with two gorgeous singing ladies (one of whom was my lovely roomie at the hen do) to the most classic 'wedding' dj set ever. The cold clear night offered welcome fresh air when the dance floor became too hot and if you needed a rest there was a beautiful bonfire in a clearing, far enough away to be able to chat above the music.

Most of us are lucky enough to have some wonderful friends, but how many can say that there is a group of people in their lives who are so close, so loved, so known that they transcend friendship and even family to become a part of your very being. I am lucky enough to say that. On Saturday night I felt surrounded by people who fit into that very special place in my heart. It was without doubt one of the best nights of my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment