Wednesday 6 November 2013

Seven

Friday, 14 September 2012

Homecoming.

On Monday 10th September I came home (to the new home).

Dad and Husband came to get me. I felt like I was being sprung! Husband gathered me up and piled all my cards, flowers and presents onto the wheelchair while Dad kept the motor running out the front.

I had a bag of medication and a bottle of blood in a bag. One less boob, 6 less lymph nodes, one less tumour, an implant and a whole heap of new scars. But I was home and very quickly in my lovely bed.

When the girls got back from school they came thundering up the stairs and ran in to see me with sloppy kisses and bursting with nonsense stories from their day at school. They looked so beautiful in the new uniform and had clearly made friends quickly.

For the next three days I was housebound. Each day moving around a little more easily. Loving watching husband struggling with running the house. It feels naughty but I've taken such pleasure  in his realisation that it's a really difficult job. He is cracking it now and he'll have the last laugh when he gets it all even better organised than me! Only a matter of time.

I can see up our drive from my bed and spent the week watching the postman struggling down to the house with three different large boxes of flowers. Every day he came, with cards, presents and letters. I have been so spoilt and have been kept so buoyant by the love and support that continues to flood in. Dear friend brought pea and mint soup for lunch all the way from Honor Oak on Tuesday followed by my whole family popping in at different times and a Lovely local friend swinging by on her way home from work. Wednesday brought a surprise breakfast visit from the Twins. One of them bringing a diary from January 1994 where I had written " Darling, By the time you find this book and then get round to reading it you won't remember who I am, so i don't know what to write seeing as you won't know who wrote it...Love Me" He took great pleasure in pointing out that I'm not ALWAYS right!
Sister's Partner came and stayed, Mum came and cleaned the house and then on Thursday Best School friend stayed the night and put up with a phone beeping in her room all night! Another handful of visitors brought us sweetly through the week towards My hospital appointment on Friday.

I couldn't lie down. I had to sleep sitting bolt upright. I still couldn't brush my hair and husband has become very good at pony tails! I'm not allowed to shave my armpits any more in case I even scratch the armpit that is lacking in nodes. It could become infected easily and then swell. So Husband and I got to grips with hair removal cream! He is adjusting brilliantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment