Wednesday 13 November 2013

Fifty

Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Fifty

The longer I leave it, the harder it becomes. It's not the writing, and not the thinking of things to write. I never really plan what I'm going to write, I find that bit easy. Like when I'm talking, I could crap on indefinitely. It's remembering the important bits, that's what gets more difficult the longer I leave it.

The week after my Herceptin I started to get a pain in my left armpit. It was a constant ache and it worried the life out of me. I didn't mention it to my husband and texted my Breast Care Nurse instead. She couldn't comment and asked me to go in on Monday 25th to see the Breast surgeon. I needed to have a proper 'Hello' with him anyway that didn't involve hijacking rooms and stealing him from someone else's operation.

I went on my own. My Husband has been working more frequently now that he has the time and space to. It was lovely as always to see my Nurse and Surgeon. We talked again through the operation on the 10th and the time came for him to examine me. He felt my armpit and then went on to feel the glands in my neck and around my collar bone. He thinks I'd pulled a muscle and has no concerns about the pain. He also quite rightly pointed out that he would be clearing out ALL the tissue under that arm in two weeks anyway.

The next day I had to go up to the house in London to replace the paddles in the washing machine (although it turned out that the tenant was very happy to do it herself). I took advantage of the journey and arranged to meet The Ladies Wot Lunch for lunch. Always a massive delight and this was no exception. The local Tapas bar opened especially for us!

I then walked to Nunhead to meet one of the babies that my friends have been churning out recently especially for my cuddling pleasure (in my head anyway!)(as you know by now IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!) This one is incredibly cute and has her own range of chirrups and squeaks and looks like a small pretty pink alien in the same way that my number one did when she was brand new. Gorgeous!

On Wednesday 27th I went back to the Hospital again for my pre-operation examination. This involves blood tests, lots of questions, MRSA swabs of the nose, mouth and perineum! and in my case an ECG. This is because of the slight heart problem they detected before (remember it was nothing to worry about).

Thursday I was on Mummy duty while Husband worked and Friday we had a family day, cleaning the house and walking (via the local pub for crisps and juice).
On Saturday I met another new friend (brand new - one month old) He is the little brother of my God-daughter and is almost equally delicious as she. He behaved so brilliantly allowing us to all catch up over tea.
Sunday was the traditional family Easter at My Mother-in-Law's. The cousins all hunted in the garden while the uncles, aunts and grand-parents ate more chocolate in the house.

On Monday we had a Footsbarn visit. We are very happy to now be on the 'visit list' of some very dear friends who live in France when grounded and all over the rest of the world when not. They have recently returned from India and are planning tours and productions. It's always a lovely occasion when they pop by. We eat and reminisce and catch up and she teaches me again how to crochet! They brought me a daughter and a grand daughter too this time and even encouraged some other friends I hadn't seen for years to join us.

Yesterday morning (Tuesday) was much less fun and actually surprisingly difficult. My Husband, who has been working abroad now and then throughout our entire relationship, had to leave for Delhi. It's the first time he's been away for ages - probably the longest time he's been grounded. I was very brave but felt like a scared, insecure child inside. My morbid thoughts have been on overdrive and I was extremely relived to hear his voice on the phone when he arrived there safely.

I drove to London as a test run for me and the car before embarking on a long-overdue visit to Cornwall. The car was fine but I found it exhausting. I clearly have a long way to go before I can handle that level of concentration for an extended period of time. The girls and I had a lovely time visiting a family there and arrived back safely.

The girls and I had a perfect holiday day today, we stayed in bed till mid-day watching teenage prom romances. Finally emerging for lunch in tracksuit bottoms before wrapping up warm for a foray into the freezing weather and a brisk walk across the fields. We had a hot bath when we returned and got dressed up for the cinema where we watched The Croods with my Dad. He then headed home and we went for Sushi and noodles.

I'm missing Husband dreadfully but enjoying my full on Mummy time. The girls are relentless and I'm out of practise but we're doing OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment