Tuesday 5 November 2013

Three

Wednesday, 12 September 2012
Three (recovered by leftbrain.it)

Finally the day came. 14th August 2012. Husband and I left the kids with my sister and drove into the hospital. We both knew the news was going to be bad and had agreed by this point to move to Kent and lean on our parents for support. I was diagnosed with Grade 3 Invasive Breast Cancer. The biopsy from my lymph node had been clear but the consultant explained that there are another 28 or so nodes to test before we can be sure it hasn't spread. The tumour looked large, at least 4 cm and had spread throughout the breast.

Treatment was discussed and I was introduced to my Breast Cancer Care Nurse. I cried a bit and tried to absorb as much information as possible. They gave us a children's picture book called "Mummy's lump" for the girls and a handful of leaflets for me. Husband and I then walked hand in hand to the nearest park where we called our families with the news.

For our 4th wedding anniversary we went out for supper and worked out what we were going to do. We had two weeks to move out of our house and find somewhere to move to. We had to cancel our goodbye picnic and decide what to tell our friends. My sister was an enormous help, she had fought cervical cancer very quietly and had regretted not telling more people and asking for more support. I decided to be as open as I could and accept all the help offered to me. I put a message on my facebook page. Telling people was so hard but I wanted everyone to know. People rushed to lighten the load and somehow we packed up the house, cancelled our flights, found a house in Kent and a new school for the girls (Husband, Sister and Brother's primary school).

I cannot imagine getting through these days without the amazing support of my friends and family. At the weekend the house was filled with people packing, painting, cooking, laughing and hugging. My divorced parents both stayed the night and reserved their own discomfort. I was brought babies to cuddle and cards started flying through the door. Husband and I went to Kent to look at a house and signed the papers then and there.


On 21st August I went to Guys for my MRI scan with my Sister. This was to see if the cancer was in both breasts and to get a clearer look at the size and type of cancer. I also had a series of blood tests to find out if it is her2 and hormone reactive. Sister and I then had an appointment with the genetics department to discuss the amount of cancer in our family and for them to find a link.

On 24th August husband and went back to Guys for the MRI results. My right breast is clear. I will have to have a full mastectomy with immediate reconstruction on the left breast. The cancer is her2 positive which means it has a very fast changing protein around each cell which is making it grow very quickly. It is also hormone receptive which means It could come back if my oestrogen levels rise for any reason. I will need to have six months of aggressive chemo, given intravenously at three week intervals, one year of herceptin given the same way and five years of hormone treatment. I will lose all my hair. I will have an early menopause and obviously won't be having any more children.

Bring it on.





No comments:

Post a Comment