Monday 11 November 2013

Forty Two


Monday, 21 January 2013

It's been a busy time. Firstly two new boy babies have arrived in the last week. My friends have all done a wonderful job, working to provide me with as many baby cuddles as possible. There are at least another four due before July! Well done Mummies and Daddies!!

My chemo went well. I came home prepared for the sickness. It never happened. I was out of bed (in my PJs but still amazed) on the first day. I pottered about for a couple of days thinking I'd completely lucked out and had the easiest couple of months ahead of me. Then on the night of day 3 the pain kicked in. Firstly it felt like flu. Achy joints, sore back, headache. Then it progressed.

I am lucky enough to have only ever broken minor bones - fingers, toes, ankles and little bones in my feet. All the normal 'horse riding child' breaks. I was reminded over the last week of the broken bone pain. It doesn't matter what position you are in or how much you do or don't move, it just hurts. This is how every bone in my body felt for about 5 days. The nights were worse, less to distract me. I finally got hold of some Tramadol as the constant rotation of Ibuprofen/Paracetamol wasn't really touching the sides. The Tramadol worked especially well at night. The injections my husband has to give me in my stomach could have added to the pain too as they stimulate my bones to create more marrow, thus raising my white blood cells. I have to have one every day for 8 days from day 3 to day 11.  Unfortunately it wasn't just my joints and bones that hurt. My muscles and skin started to get sore too.

I am on day 13 now and apart from my back being a bit achy the bone/joint pain is very much better. My skin, however, is still sore and looking horrid. My face is blotchy and rashy. My eye lashes are all but gone, I have about 8 left on each eye which I can still paint with mascara but it's a bit of a palaver. My taste buds have changed and things are tasting a little bit different. My tongue is sore and the inside of my mouth feels rough. I feel tired but nowhere near as bad as I did with the FEC.  My beautiful God-Mother was here for a couple of days to see me through.

The good news is that I only have two more doses left and should be done by the end of Feb/beginning of march.

Last Friday I woke to a generous sprinkling of snow. Nothing was going to stop me heading to London to have lunch with my Yummy Mummies who have renamed themselves 'The Ladies Wot Lunch'. It was a birthday and I had a lovely time catching up and eating delicious food. I had to leave at school pick up time as the snow hadn't stopped and I was nervous about getting home in time to bake for daughter 2's birthday party on Saturday. The views from the train were stunning. When I got home there was a box of orchids waiting for me from one of my Husbands Uncles, what a lovely surprise.

Saturday was great fun. 20 children fought their way through the snow to the local village hall - nearly half from London! and Daughter 2 was thrilled with her party. She had insisted on being dressed as a disco queen which I was only to happy to oblige. I even pained a glittering gold star over her left eye!

On Saturday evening I drove husband to the pub where he was catching up with a friend who now lives in Alaska. I was excited too as his Sister, my friend who lives in New Zealand was also there. I had planned to drop husband, hug friend and go home to bed as I was already exhausted but I snuggled up in the corner with a pint of fruit juice and lasted most of the evening. The roads had all frozen by the time we headed home and we had to try 3 times to drive up our lane before finally making it.

Sunday morning brought more snow. My Dad who had stayed the night to babysit was well and truly snowed in with us. We set off after lunch for a 3 hour snow expedition. It continued to snow all day. We took a sledge and a couple of thermos flasks full of hot soup. Wrapped ourselves in waterproof and snow clothes and had a wonderful day trudging around the Kent countryside. We arrived at Granny's house at Tea time and gathered her and her Man up before all heading back to ours for supper. By Sunday evening there was a good 6-8 inches of snow on everything - beautiful!

We set off again today. 2 sledges this time. We went to the village, bought some things in the shop and had pudding in the pub before heading home and digging Dad's van out so he could return home to Tunbridge Wells. Unless it snows again tonight there will be school tomorrow. I, however will be out sledging!

Possibly the most exciting thing that has happened was started, in a round-about way, by my last blog. I loved the picture of me, my sister and the Footsbarn babies so much that I created a facebook page called Footsbarn Photos and popped the picture on it. I invited people to join who had been in or around Footsbarn and waited to see if anyone would post any more old pictures. The response has been flabbergasting! So far over 250 pictures have been added. I have seen pictures of myself as a child I would never have seen otherwise. It's been the most wonderful distraction. Almost as exciting as the pictures, which are truly wonderful, are the conversations and comments that they have sparked. People who haven't talked or seen each other for years swapping memories, jokes and stories. I can't wait for my Dad to go to France and bring me back all our family pictures so I can share them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment