Wednesday 6 November 2013

Ten

Monday, 17 September 2012
Ten - cut and pasted from an email from Devon.

For a week now I have been enjoying the life of a celebrity. My house is filled with freshly cut flowers. Someone else is cooking and cleaning for me. I've hardly seen my own children and am assured they are being good and being cared for well - they kiss me good night and if I'm lucky I get to read them a story. My hair is being washed, brushed and styled for me (same style everyday but who's watching?). My clothes are washed. I have a constant stream of fan mail which the postman grudgingly delivers. There is a small baby in New Zealand who has been named after me, A wonderful lady in Canada has raised thousands for charity running in my name, I'm popping enough pills for a Hollywood starlet AND I've had over 1000 hits on my blog!

With all this fame comes the weight of responsibility, I'm having to stop myself telling people to give up smoking, live life to the full, act on your dreams now, make the most of your youth / children /....health.

I thought, when I was young, that I'd quite like to be a real celebrity. After a small stint treading the boards with Footsbarn Travelling Theatre (I played a child and a dwarf waiter) I rather fancied myself as a budding actress. When we left the Theatre and returned to the UK I joined the local junior amateur dramatics group and studied for a part in the local village hall production of "A bad day at black rock creek" (at least that's what my dodgy memory tells me it was called) I read my part over and over and had it word perfect. When it came to the first rehearsal I was gripped with a blind fear that came out of no-where. It totally paralysed me and I've never been on stage since.

In my teens I was desperate to be spotted by a model scout. I didn't want anyone to think I actually wanted to be a model so I couldn't pursue the career myself. Aged 15 at a dinner party in London, I was far to young to be attending, I was sitting next to the newly signed Laura Bailey. Her agent, who was also there, asked me if I'd considered modelling. I was so terrified that I said no, I didn't think it was something I wanted to do! Lucky really as I've never been able to eat little enough to be truly thin. I did get to stand in for the supermodels on the set of a Vauxhall Corsa commercial in the early nineties. No cameras, no pressure, just so they could set the lighting before the real models arrived. I only got to do that because I was on work experience with my Dad, but I like to think of it as my only other brush with fame.

So there I was, finally enjoying my week of celebrity trappings. I made the most of them!

I'm truthfully slightly annoyed every time something is tidied to the wrong place and frustrated that I can't hang the washing or hoover the floor when I think it needs it. This morning I got up with the kids and washed my own hair. I can feel that I haven't got all the conditioner out and I think my new boob got slightly wetter than it should. It's a step towards the Independence I treasure and have missed since my operation and it feels great. I don't think the fame game is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment