Monday 11 November 2013

Twenty Nine

Tuesday, 6 November 2012

I've taken to my bed today. It might be in response to my Husband's stinking cold, either he's given it to me or I can't bear anyone being iller than me. Either way I feel rubbish. No particular symptoms, not being sick or anything, just can't be bothered.

I have, however, had a wonderfully active week and have been doing a very persuasive impression of someone not actually on chemotherapy. I've driven daughter 2 to a birthday party in London which we both enjoyed immensely, they had a mobile zoo there which was a stroke of genius on the parent's part. I have never seen a group of 5/6 year olds so calm at a birthday party. I've been to a bonfire party at Mother-in-law's house. I've had guests over for lunch, tea and supper. I've done the school run. I got up and made breakfast for the family 4 times in half term week (this includes American pancakes etc made from scratch). I've used my new slow cooker everyday and I've started walking again.

I have the rest of this week to pretend to be normal and then next week the hospital appointments kick off again.  On Tuesday I'm having a portocath inserted into my chest. This is a surgical operation, but a small one. A portocath is a small port that will lay under the skin on my chest just above my right breast. Every time I need a blood test or to be given intravenous medicine (at least once every 3 weeks for the next 14 months or so) the doctors can access this port by just popping a needle through the skin. The port joins to a catheter (tube) which feeds into an artery just before it enters my heart. It's fantastic for me as it will stop them having to dig around for veins and it should stop the chemotherapy drugs burning them out. The only down side is that I have to fast for 6 hours before the operation and you all know how I hate that!

Taking to my bed didn't last very long, I soon got bored. An old school friend came over and we sorted out boxes of clothes and bags and scarves I hadn't got round to yet. Then The twin's big brother arrived with his lovely lady and brand new baby (and a lovely apple crumble). I managed to monopolise the baby for at least an hour.

I'm trying to write about things I've been doing and trying to be interesting but actually I'm bursting to tell you something unbelievably exciting. Thanks to a wonderful friend of mine and a very special lady who I have yet to meet (and her husband) and also thanks to a fantastically special group of very generous friends MY HUSBAND AND I ARE GOING TO SEE THE ROLLING STONES AT THE O2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, I can't believe it either. I can hardly breathe!

No comments:

Post a Comment